Sunday, December 12, 2010

Another Update? So Soon?

Why yes, I am updating again already. I'd rather do this every few days and keep it short and sweet instead of having a massive post one or two times a month. Knowing me though, my posts will probably be quite long no matter what. Ah well. 


These past few days have been pretty good actually. On Friday I finally found out my Calculus Chapter 5 test score...which is a 91. I haven't gotten that score since the first test back in September. I kinda freaked out in class when I was handed my test since I was ridiculously happy. My percentage in the class has now risen from an 84.9% to an 86%. Still not an A, but my teacher says I can still pull it off. With how frustrating Chapter 6 is though, I'm highly doubting I will do as well on this next test. 


Speaking of the test, we're doing it a little bit differently since there is only one week of classes left (Finally!). We're going to take the test in class during normal class hours instead of scheduling the test with the assessment center. He's making sure we have an adequate amount of time for the test though, so if need be we can still work on it after the time class is usually over. After getting through that there's only the final on Friday and then I am free from this semester. Apparently the final is about half an exam longer than normal, so that'll be quite a beast for me to conquer. 


Since I have still been kinda taking a break from Postcrossing I don't have any PC's from there to post, however I participated in a Lighthouse PC swap on Swap-bot the other week, so here's the two I received:


Romanian Lighthouse
This is a Romanian Lighthouse (According to the back of the PC), but the sender lives here in the U.S. 


Lighthouses Of Connecticut
Pretty self explanatory here, but the sender lives in New Hampshire. I sense a theme going on.


For a few weeks now I've been wanting to display all the postcards I've received in my room somehow. I don't want to use normal tape since it might damage the cards, but I found little tab things that you put on the edge of pictures to keep them in a scrapbook. I saw them while I was browsing the art/craft store, Michaels, the other day and so far I've put one postcard up on the wall to see how well they stick. So far so good, so I might end up staying up half the night (as usual) to put all of them on the walls in my room. 


Yesterday and today I worked at Best Buy. Last night my shift was from 5p-11:30p, but I ended up going home a little over an hour early since we had really slowed down. It was kinda funny though since at around 4 I got a call from my supervisor asking me to come in to work since they were so busy. Apparently he had forgotten that I was already scheduled to come in. Since they were busy though he let me clock in about a half hour early, so I suppose that makes up a little bit for leaving early as well. 


While we were slowed down I took a look at our ad to familiarize myself with it. Turns out it expired today anyway, so it was pretty pointless...BUT...I saw that the Wrath of the Lich King expansion for WoW was on sale for 50% off, so right after I clocked out I snatched up the last one on the shelf. Now I just need to get my new laptop out of layaway so that I can actually play the damn thing!


Today my shift was short, just from 2p-6p. About half way through my shift I saw that one of the people I had gone through orientation with was working. I've talked to him a few times and on one shift where I had opened we played the "questions game" since there was literally no customers in the store. He seems like he'd be fun to hang out with, so I asked him if he'd like to sometime. I've never asked anyone anything like that before, so I thought it'd be a little weird, but he accepted. I gave him my cell number and he texted me so I'd have his as well. It'd be awesome if I can make a new friend, and I am extremely proud of myself with going out of my comfort zone. 


Since I have Netflix now, and am therefore going to be watching a hell of a lot of movies, I figured I can just post my reviews that I wrote on the site here as well. I don't review all the movies I watch, but I try. Sometimes I just don't really have anything to say about them. This is going to make this update even longer than it already is, but oh well, that's the beauty of having your own blog. 


Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire





I gave it 4 out of 5 stars.


This is one of those movies where you feel very strange if you say that you liked it considering the subject matter involved. It's interesting and fascinating to watch though since you know that events similar to those portrayed occur everyday. It makes you want to do something to help the world more.


 As for the way the movie flows...it was kind of awkward in some places. I understand when she's dreaming/remembering things, but they are placed in some odd scenes. Another thing was that I had to keep changing the volume of the TV throughout the movie. Some spots are extremely quiet, but then the very next scene will be ten times louder. It's obviously just a minor thing, so no worries. 


I think the use of the "F" word could have been a little less. I'm no prude and use the word quite often myself, but it was an overkill in this movie. Overall, if you want to be motivated to help people and are not easily disturbed, then I would highly recommend this movie.


Shutter Island





I gave it 3 out of 5 stars.


I've been wanting to watch this movie for quite a while now, and thanx to Netflix I was finally able too. However, I don't believe it lived up to my expectations. I remember when it first came out in theatres I was hearing good reviews left and right. I checked up on what people had to say about it before putting it in the DVD player and discovered that it seemed to be mostly mixed thoughts now. 


It was very slow in the beginning and took at least 45 minutes to get interesting. Since most had been revealed an hour later, it made the movie feel too drawn out. Something that slightly bothered me was the camera. The way they had it moving and the flow between scenes stuck out a lot to me for about the first half hour, but it either got better, or I just got used to it since I didn't even notice it after then. The end is actually my favorite part of the movie, especially the last few lines said. That alone was worth watching it. 


Shutter Island could have been an amazing movie, but the things mentioned above took more away from the experience than it should of. Overall it's still decent though. I'd recommend it to anyone who is a fan of some suspense and movies that set up the story before getting into the main dish.


The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus





I gave it 4 out of 5 stars.


Well this is definitely an interesting movie to watch. I was able to follow the story pretty well until the end where the scenes really start jumping around. Besides being a bit confusing...When the credits started rolling I was still unsure what had happened to one of the characters. I looked the movie up online though just to clarify everything that had happened and discovered that I simply hadn't recognized the character when they were shown. Overall I enjoyed the movie and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys magic, the unusual, and fantasy.


Letters to God





I gave it 3 out of 5 stars. (Wanted to do 3 and 1/2, but Netflix doesn't allow that.)


This is one of those times when I wish that using half stars was allowed. For about the first third of the movie I was actually distracted by how forced the acting seemed to be. It was disappointing since I really wanted the message it was portraying to come through well. After a while though it wasn't as noticeable, but by then you already knew how the movie was going to end up. 


Overall it's a decent movie if you want to let some emotions out. The message it sends is the strongest part of it, which overshadows some of its shortcomings. This movie does show that you don't need a huge budget to create something inspiring and thought provoking.


The Lovely Bones





I gave it 4 out of 5 stars. (But wanted to do 3 and 1/2)


I tend to read a lot of reviews before I watch a movie. To my surprise most of the ones for this movie are quite negative. Through the first hour to hour and a half of this film I kept thinking "How is this rated so low? I'm definitely rating a 5!" But then I was shown why. 


The story starts to become convoluted and completely unsatisfying. Some of the actions of the characters seemed out of place and a few of the scenes could have been completely left out. With those it was almost like they added the scene as a filler. However, The Lovely Bones did keep my attention the whole time. With most movies I watch I'm usually multi tasking, but with this one I completely stopped everything I was doing to pay attention and be absorbed by it. Another thing I quite like is that it ties up all the loose ends and answers all the questions pretty well without having to come right out and say it. A lot of things are implied in this movie, or said in a different way with the narrative. 


Overall I'd give this movie 3 and 1/2 stars. It had a strong beginning with me, but sadly trailed off into disappointment. I'd recommend it to anyone who is interested in the supernatural and with what happens to us when we die. You also have to be able to tolerate drama genre as well.


Well I had more reviews on there than I thought I did. I didn't watch any movies tonight, but I did watch the first episode of a TV series: The Tudors. The first season came out in 2007 I believe and the fourth (and final) season ended in June of this year. I didn't pay attention to the rating before hitting "Play", but boy, I wish I did. 


Five minutes into the hour long episode it's like "BAM! BOOBS!" There were three or four sex scenes all throughout the episode, so I saw three or four different sets of boobs and a mans ass.  One of the women had such small breasts that I actually thought it was a man at first. Oops. Here's the cover of the first season:





Looking at it now I should have known about the sex, but I didn't realize it was aired on a station that allows nudity. There's another show called Spartacus that I believe is aired on the same station. I've heard in that one there's even full frontal male nudity. It's also available on Netflix, so I suppose I might just have to see for myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment