Monday, August 23, 2010

Demo Derby, Postcrossing, and More

Wow, I've received quite a lot of stuff since I've last updated. I think I'll write about what's come in the mail first, although the Demo Derby was absolutely awesome!


Today I received a package for the Love My Cat # 2 swap from Swap-bot. They did an amazing job and it makes me feel bad about what I sent. Now what I sent surpasses the requirements, but it's nowhere near as fancy or neat as what this person accomplished. This is the picture they sent me of their lovely cat:


Photobucket


In what she wrote, she told me that he's a Snowshoe Siamese named KoKo and that he likes to sing while in the bathtub early in the morning. Haha. I wish the pictures I had sent had come out as nice as hers did!


A few days ago I received my first foreign postcard in the mail. It's from Germany and the person who sent it only speaks German, so that's the language the message is in. I could kinda guess what it said, but I used a translator from online to really figure it out. I love foreign languages, so these cards really are special to me. Here's the first one:


Photobucket


My scanner, for some reason, put purple and yellow lines all through the picture so it looks kinda funky. I've also received three other cards from the past few days. One of them is from today even. The first one is from Portugal, the second from the Netherlands, and the last one is the what came in today from Malaysia:


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


I am definitely enjoying Postcrossing so far and will continue to use it. I actually have four cards that I need to send out still. I was going to do it today, but just had too much to mail out and it was nearing closing time at the post office, so I had to leave with what I had.


The post office is crazy. I need to mail four hardcovers to the same person, but I don't have a box big enough for them all. I figured I would just get a box at the PO and mail them Media Mail that way. NOPE! They wanted me to pay $10.70 for a priority mail box. There is no way I am paying that much for just a box. I'm better off just finding something at home to mail the books in if I can't find a cheaper box. I never realized before today that they didn't have normal boxes to sell.


Saturday was the Demolition Derby at the fair grounds. I haven't seen it in a few years so it was really nice to be able to finally watch it with my dad again. They started a little after 7 P.M. and ended just a bit before 10 P.M. They were going through everything pretty fast, so I actually thought that they were going to end way early, but it turned out lasting till it was supposed to.


I think the first, third, and last matches were the best. At one point there was even a match with trucks and vans and one with garden tractors. People of any age could enter that last one.


There were some pretty cool moments during the derby though. The cars were so loud that my ears hurt for the whole night afterword. There were a few cars that I really thought were going to explode, but the people running the show weren't too worried about it. Twice an engine caught on fire and flames flew straight up into the air from it. Firefighters had to jump in to put it out and the people in the cars would jump out the windows really fast. One time two cars hit head on and sparks flew straight up to the top of the grandstand and back down. In the last match, when there were two cars left, the back end of one of the cars went up onto the hood of the other so the trunk ended up catching on fire that way as well.


Some of the cars would really smoke. When the derby was about half way over there was a car that was almost right in front of us that was smoking like crazy. It was stuck between two other cars that were stalled and so the driver was flooring it to try to push his way out. It smoked up the grandstand so badly that you couldn't see anything. It wasn't fun to breath in either, so a bunch of people left at that point.


There were only two female drivers through the whole thing. I hate that and would love to drive a derby car and smash cars up. Maybe I could ask my neighbors if I can borrow one of their race cars. Haha. The people who put on the event also allowed there to be passengers. The rules were a bit different from the huge derby's as well in that both passenger and driver side doors could be hit. It was basically an "anything goes" type of thing.


During the last match, when there were two cars left, the one that could still steer and stuff backed up into the other one so hard the the back end up it went up onto the drivers side and one of the tires went through the window. The driver of the car that had been hit was fine, but both cars were now kinda stuck. The car on the bottom had lost its steering a while ago and so it hadn't been able to hit any cars. Multiple times the announcer guy said that he would give the drive 10 seconds to hit something or he'd lose. Well...he'd count to two or three and then stop. The crowd got tired of this, so when the disabled car was stuck under the other car and the guy counted down again the crowd continued when he stopped. The announcer didn't really acknowledge this, but shortly after ended the match. Everyone immediately got up the leave and as we were pilling out the announcer declared the guy that should have gotten second, the winner, and the guy that should have won, second. The guy that should have won was so mad that he threw the trophy at the announcer. There were cash prizes, so it was a pretty big deal that he wasn't given first place.


Overall it was really exciting and LOUD. The last match was the loudest and biggest since there were 16 cars crammed into the small space. At some points it was so loud that it was like you weren't even hearing anything anymore.


I'll definitely be trying to attend the Demo Derby each time the Fair rolls around.

No comments:

Post a Comment